This film has been in the works for quite some time. Tarantino’s second Western was in the works until the script was leaked in January 2014, and Tarantino decided to cancel the movie (he also decided that he would publish the script as a novel instead, just so it wouldn’t go to waste). However, after directing a live read of the leaked script in LA, Tarantino decided to change his mind, and so filming began a year after the leak.
Now we have a trailer to satisfy our theatrical palette, and boy does it deliver.
So, here we have eight westerners who seek refuge in a stagecoach stopover on a mountain pass during a blizzard. Tarantino said that the inspiration for this came from episodes from television westerns, where the main character is kidnapped by a group of outlaws
“I don’t like that storyline in a modern context, but I love it in a Western, where you would pass halfway through the show to find out if they were good or bad guys, and they all had a past that was revealed. I thought, ‘What if I did a movie starring nothing but those characters? No heroes, no Michael Landons . Just a bunch of nefarious guys in a room, all telling backstories that may or may not be true. Trap those guys together in a room with a blizzard outside, give them guns, and see what happens.'”
Additionally, we have some character posters which were released recently which give us character names and their ‘titles’.
- Kurt Russell as John Ruth, “The Hangman”
- Jennifer Jason Leigh as Daisy Domergue,”The Prisoner”
- Samuel L. Jackson as Major Marquis Warren, “The Bounty Hunter”
- Walton Goggins as Chris Mannix, “The Sheriff”
- Demián Bichir as Bob, “The Mexican”
- Tim Roth as Oswaldo Mobray, “The Little Man”
- Michael Madsen as Joe Gage, “The Cow Puncher”
- Bruce Dern as General Sanford Smithers, “The Confederate”
The concept of ‘The Hateful Eight’ is an interesting one and I’ll be sure to keep an eye on this when it comes out this Christmas!