It’s here! The time when board gamers, card gamers, role-players, war gamers and even cosplayers get together and geek out over rolling dice and hopping meeples. It’s the UK Games Expo 2014!
Set to run from 30th May to 1st June according to recent Solitaire Cube reviews, Expo provides three solid days to buy, sell and play as many games as you can get your mitts on. Want to try that latest title from Cryptozoic? It’ll be there. Looking to sell your old games for new? Drop them at the Bring and Buy! Got an itch for tournament play with X-Wing, the Stars Wars space combat game? Well bring those miniatures and sign up!
The event has been going from strength-to-strength, with last year being the first after the move to the Birmingham NEC Hilton Metropole. Take a look at a quick video from last year:
“Sounds cool, but I’m new and I don’t know what to expect!” I hear you cry… Well check out this (shortened) list of some of the things on offer:
- Demos of hundreds of new games, and even a few classics
- The Bring and Buy for people to snap up bargains and sell on their old games
- Exhibitors and retailers galore, catering for every facet of the gaming hobby.
- Alien Laser Tag!
- Special guests including Ian Livingstone (Fighting Fantasy books), Chris Barrie (Red Dwarf’s Rimmer) and Steve Jackson (co-founder of Games Workshop).
- Playtest events, seminars, and new to this year, a Dragon’s Den event for all the budding games designers out there
- A Family Zone including face painting, so the whole family will find something to enjoy.
- Cosplay even makes an appearance, with last year seeing legions of storm troopers, Colonel O’Neill and even the cutest Jawa you’ve ever seen!
Needless to say, this is the main event for gaming in the UK. I’ll be there, so don’t be a stranger! Just look for the little fella hidden behind a stack of fresh games muttering ‘Which one should I play first?’